Journées de Numération Graz 2007
(Zö'tåg' in Graz)
April 16-20, 2007
Technische Universität Graz
Institut für Mathematik
A-8010 Graz, Austria
Click on the picture to download original (8MB).
The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers interested
in numeration systems from various points of view. This includes
geometric aspects (fractals, tilings, quasi-crystals),
dynamical/probabilistic aspects (odometers, subshifts), analytic
aspects (related arithmetical functions), topological aspects
(compactifications and applications), and computer science (automata,
languages). The workshop is intended as a continuation of the
``Journées Numération, Pavages, Substitutions'' held in
Grenoble in March 2005. It is organised as part of the National
``Analytic Combinatorics and Probabilistic Number Theory'' supported by the
Foundation. It is also closely related with the Action
Concertée Incitative "Nouvelles Interfaces des
The editors of Monatshefte für Mathematik have accepted
to dedicate a special issue to this conference. We invite the
participants to submit contributions. The deadline is August
31, 2007. Only original research papers will be accepted; in
particular, the editors of Monatshefte do not intend to publish
- General numeration systems,
- Geometric representations, Rauzy fractals, tilings
- Representations of operations in Pisot base by finite automata,
- Sofic systems associated with Pisot numbers,
- Redundant representations and cryptography,
- Shift-radix systems,
- Abstract number systems,
- Delaunay (Delone) sets of
and on lattices,
- Dynamical systems and cocycles related to numeration,
- Spectra and spectral measures associated with numeration,
Sums of digits for classical and non-classical numerations, associated
- -adic conjecture,
- Analytic and probabilistic study of arithmetic functions related to
- Cellular automata
Manuscripts should to be sent to
as .dvi, .ps, or .pdf file until August
31, 2007. They will be
refereed following the standards of Monatshefte für Mathematik.
With approximately 230.000 inhabitants,
Graz is the 2nd largest
city of Austria,
situated in the region of Styria,
180 km (110 miles) south-west of Vienna.
It has four universities (the University,
the University of Technology,the Medical University of Graz,
and the University of Music and Dramatic Arts),
a pleasant old center that is not yet
overcrowded by tourists, and nice hills and mountains nearby
to the north, plus a wine growing area with rustic wineries to
The Old Town of Graz is one of the best preserved in Europe and was
awarded World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO in 1999. In 2003 Graz was
European Cultural Capital.
The airport of Graz
can be reached via Vienna,
Zurich, ... and some other "hubs".
it takes 2 hours and 40 minutes from Vienna.
participants will be accomodated in the nearby Hotel Johannes, which is
located in short walking distance from the conference venue. Room
reservation can be done with the registration for the workshop. Please
indicate dates of arrival and departure, single or double room. If you
arrive after 10pm, please use the code that we will send out some days
before the conference to open the key safe in front of the hotel.
How to reach the hotel:
will be served at the University Restaurant, which offers fast service
and reasonable prices. There are some other restaurants in the area
around the conference venue.
Wine tasting tour (approx. 35 € per Person). Visit to the wine growing area in the south of Styria. The tour includes a wine tasting, a drive through the scenic landscape, a visit to a pumpkin seed oil mill, and ends in a rustic tavern (Buschenschank), where dinner will be served.
If you intend to participate in this workshop, please send an email to
- By taxi (address: Münzgrabenstrasse 48), cost from the airport
approx. 16 €.
- By tram/bus from the railway station: take tram number 6 and exit at stop "Neue Technik". The tramway stop is 50 meters from the hotel. After 8pm tram number 6 does not operate. Take tram numbers 1 (direction Mariatrost) or 7 (direction St. Leonhard LKH) to Jakominiplatz and change to bus number 36 there. Exit at bus stop "Neue Technik". Tramway tickets (1,70 €) are sold by the driver; they are valid for one hour. A schedule of trams and buses is available on the homepage of Graz Public Transport (GVB).
- A description how to reach the railway station from the airport is given
here at the bottom of the page.
- October 30, 2006: First announcement, start of registration
- February 28, 2007: Deadline for registration and room reservation
- March 31, 2007: Deadline for submission of abstracts of talks.
- August 31, 2007: Deadline for submission of articles for the special issue of Monatshefte für Mathematik.